Coffee is always enjoyable, but have you ever had a cup of cold coffee in summer? There are arguably few other things that provide the same relief and relinquish thirst as the cold cup of the perfect blend of flavors.
Most attempts to make cold coffee at home result in a bitter and watery liquid that may feel like coffee but does not satisfy the craving. How do you solve this? It’s simple, make a cold brew coffee! It is easy to prepare and requires minimal effort.
So, read on to understand the benefits, debunk myths and learn how to prepare a perfect cold brew coffee.
What is Cold Brew Coffee?
As the name states, cold brew is coffee made using cold water. Unlike traditional coffee brewed using hot water that requires significantly less time to steep, cold brew is a long process that takes 12 to 24 hours.
The coarsely ground powder is brewed using cold water, which helps draw a smooth and refreshing coffee taste instead of the regular old bitter kick.
Cold Brew Myths and Facts
Cold brew is a relatively new brewing method with several myths surrounding it. But unfortunately, most are just beliefs of party poopers who don’t appreciate the more refined tastes in life, and we’re here to debunk them.
- Cold brew is expensive: False! Cold brews are priced at par with hot brewed coffee. You can make them at home to derive greater value for your money.
- Type of coffee: Cold brew is commonly mistaken to be a type of coffee. It is false as it is a technique of brewing and not a kind of coffee.
- Higher caffeine content: The coffee roast may affect the caffeine in cold brew coffee. However, the difference between light and dark roasts is minimal, meaning you probably consume the same amount of caffeine.
- An unhealthy alternative: The only ingredients required to cold brew your coffees are cold water and coffee grounds, making them just as healthy as other brewing techniques.
Cold Brew Benefits
Cold brew coffee has a lot of negative talk surrounding it, mostly from myths. However, cold brews are as beneficial as any other coffee made using different brewing techniques.
It helps uplift your spirits, increase your metabolic rate, and lower the risk of heart diseases. Also, it slows down cognitive aging and may even be better for you if you suffer from acidity.
How Much Coffee for Cold Brew?
If you’re wondering about the best ratio for cold brew coffee, the answer is subjective. It is dependent on your tolerance for the bitter-tasting beverage.
However, you can start with a concentrate to water ratio of 1:1. Put simply, it is equal parts coffee and water.
If you prefer a slightly more bitter coffee, you can increase the amount of concentrate in your cold brew coffee. Usually, a 2:1 ratio is preferred.
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee?
Making cold brew coffee is extremely easy. All you need is regular coffee brewing supplies and lots of patience to achieve a great-tasting cup of coffee.
Equipment You’ll Need
Making cold brew coffee can be done easily at home using:
- a large bowl
- coffee beans
- coffee grinder
Step 1: Grind Beans Into Powder
Grind your coffee beans of choice in the grinder and make them a coarse powder.
Step 2: Mix It with Water
Once ground, add water to the powder and stir with a spoon. The recipe stated below will provide precise measurements of each ingredient. However, feel free to adjust it as per your tastes.
Step 3: Let it Sit
It is the time taking process where you allow the flavor to steep into the water, transforming it into a decoction.
Step 4: Strain the Coffee
Use a strainer, cheesecloth, or any other tool to filter out the coffee powder after letting the flavor infuse into the water for a minimum of 12 hours for best results. The resultant liquid is your cold brew decoction ready to use.
How Long to Cold Brew Coffee?
A cold brew coffee is the result of long hours and patience. However, it only requires a few minutes of pre-planning and several hours of patience.
Usually, cold brews take at least 4 hours to steep and a maximum of 24 hours.
How to Serve Cold Brew Coffee?
Cold brew coffee is versatile and can be served in multiple ways. You can serve it immediately after steeping at room temperature with a bit of creamer, water, or sugar as per your taste.
Alternatively, it can be served hot by heating the brew or adding milk to the coffee.
Cold brew coffee is growing in popularity by the day and has good reason for doing so. It is easy to replicate the brew at home inexpensively with regular household supplies, making it an ideal at-home coffee brew.
Buy Fabula Cold Brew Coffee & Save up to 35% Today
Make Café-Like Cold Brew Coffee at HomeCourse: Drinks
This simple recipe to make cold brew coffee at home is affordable and easy, guaranteeing excellent results each time!
1 cup of coffee beans of choice
4 cups of cold water or kept at room temperature
- Take your coffee beans and put them in a grinder. This step can be avoided if you purchase ground coffee powder.
- Place the powder in a large container or bowl. Pour in the water and stir it to ensure that the coffee powder is suspended homogeneously.
- Leave the mixture for a minimum of 4 hours and a maximum of 24 hours to get the best flavor out of the coffee powder.
- Once the flavor has steeped into the concoction, use a strainer, coffee filter paper, or cheesecloth to separate the coffee grounds from the decoction.
- Your cold brew is ready!
- Use the cold brew with preferred amounts of sugar, water, and creamer to make a refreshing cold brew coffee!
3 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories5
- % Daily Value *
- Sodium 15mg 1%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
While cold brew coffee can be made using what you already own, these gadgets can help make the process faster and simplified.